Sunday, April 20, 2014

There they go...

In my last "Thrifty Thrusday" post I mentioned that I'd be getting rid of a few things soon. Done and done!
Over the past two weeks I've managed to take about a dozen grocery bags of clothes and some other miscellaneous stuff to the thrift store. However, there were a few things I just couldn't bear to part with in such an impersonal way. Clothes that mean something to me, but I no longer wear for various reasons. I had a lot of vintage things and really nice evening gowns I probably won't be wearing any time in the near future. I had more coats than any one person should have including some lovely vintage pieces. I had some men's suit jackets and a tuxedo that belonged to my step-dad, who passed away in 2008. They don't fit my husband, and he doesn't need to wear a suit very often, anyway.
I thought about some of the theatres I've worked with over the past several years and decided that Morris Park Players in Minneapolis needed some stock for their costume closet. The other night, Sue, one of the board members and frequent costume coordinator came by and picked up 14 bags of really amazing stuff. I'm hoping to go see a show and find my clothes being used in a new life, perhaps I'll even get to wear some of it again when I go back to performing after I get my massage certification.
I also finished the quilted wall hanging for my friend's son's band fundraiser. Her sister came to pick it up the same night the theatre clothes left. I suddenly have a great deal of room - in my living room, in my closets, in my brain, and in my life.
I'm not going to say that I don't also feel a bit empty. I put a lot of work into some of the things I gave up. I figured that between the actual value of some of the clothes - some I never even wore, some I altered in some way, some I made myself - and the time involved in basically curating, caring for and building them, that's a donation of somewhere between $2000 - 3000. I'm going to write up some sort of paper which states that and then the theatre can sign off on it and I estimated the value of the quilt to be around $250. I'll use it for my taxes next year.
Of course, that's not the real reason I did all the culling. You get to a certain point in your life when you just want to pare down and simplify. I'm there. I'm not ready to give up my fabric stash yet, I still want to make stuff, but I'm making room for it. I'm also having a hard time parting with my books. But, the more room and less clutter there is in my life, the more I can do. Maybe I can actually read those books. What a concept.
Now, to finish Rachel's quilt. I've assured her that I am working on it, true enough, but my decision to hand stitch the binding down on the back side was a bit much for my fibro to handle. I have to take a lot of breaks. As for my ADHD, I sometimes just have to set the quilt aside and not think about it for a while. Luckily, my friend is more than understanding and is patiently awaiting her hand-made treasure.
Sometimes you're not ready for a cull. I get that. I wasn't ready to cull for years. When I decided it was time, holy crud-monkeys was I ready! Now to see if I can lose that 20 pounds I gained over the past year.


No comments:

Post a Comment