Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thrifty Thursday

I couldn't help myself. I went thrifting today. I paid my Target bill down, arranged for my son's dentistry work, scheduled my other son into an after school activity, completed my financial aid paperwork and had spent the last week and a half repainting our living room and kitchen while my husband worked on the tiling and trimming. I deserved a little something. Besides, I'm working on finding my authentic style. Of course this means I'll be getting rid of a few things soon, too.
First of all, the most deadly thing about my going to school is that there's a Goodwill right across the street. It doesn't help that it borders several good neighborhoods and they have really good stuff there (on my first trip in I found an Armani Xchange denim blazer in my size for $14 - yeah). So I've decided I'm setting out to discover my personal style. I love jackets and blazers, but I also really like bohemian skirts and dresses. I like going to thrift stores because that's where people take the stuff they liked but never had the balls to wear. You know how you buy an ethnic outfit while traveling abroad and then you get home and are like, "This makes sense in Mexico/India/Japan/wherever, but not in Minnesota. Not on me." Those are the clothes I like. Stuff that the thrift stores put out for Hallowe'en? That's where I find the stuff I actually want to wear. Saris and Kurtis, harem pants and peasant skirts, vintage dresses and military jackets, brightly colored blouses and scarves. I must look like a bit of a magpie when I leave the house, but I'm colorful and joyful, so what's the big deal?
So anyway, I went to the Goodwill after my meeting with the financial aid guy at the school. I found one thing I was for sure looking for, a frame to replace the very kitsch-y 80s frame my husband had a family picture in. But the clothes were a different story. No Armani today. However, I found a beautiful pink dip-dyed full skirt and a very bohemian maxi dress that I can't wait to wear this Summer. I also found a broken, bejeweled bow brooch for a sewing project. I had settled for something else when I couldn't find a brooch like this one. I should've waited. That's alright. I'll find a use for the other stuff I got.
On my way home I decided to have a look at a junk shop called Hunt & Gather. I could've laid out a lot of coin for some cool stuff, but nothing leapt out at me as necessary. That in itself is a pretty big deal. There were vintage buttons and beautiful linens, fascinating books and posters. There was a fuchsia disco dress that almost came home with me, but it was at a vintage price instead of a thrift store price, so I didn't get it. I can't believe I actually walked out of there with nothing, but I went in looking for something that would go in our newly painted living room with nomadic flavor. I found nothing that suited me or my house. Or my budget.
Then I stopped at the Assistance League Thrift Store near my house. This place is a little gem. It's rare for me to find stuff I love and I really have to hunt for it when I'm there. That's what I like about it. Today was a jackpot day. A reversible, silk wrap skirt from India, $6; A white eyelet Summer top by Eddie Bauer, $3; a red-satin-lined black flocked blazer, $4. I also found a set of woven place mats and coasters that go with our fun new interior, $3. The ladies at the shop gave me a little button that says "I Heart Thrifting" because I made such a good deal. Last year I found Armani at this store, too. A beautiful rose brocade blazer for $36.
The best part about my latest purchase was the silk skirt. I've been looking at them online, very longingly, but they were a bit more than I wanted to spend. Anywhere from $50 - 70. I was becoming quite discouraged. To find one for $6 in vivid purple and turquoise, well, I couldn't say no to that!
Now, as I mentioned, I'm going to have to start getting rid of the stuff I just don't wear. I'm torn between sending it to a thrift store and having a yard sale. I could use the extra money for school, but it wouldn't be that much. Yard sales usually end up costing more than they profit. Well, I wouldn't have to advertise in the paper, just put a few posters out. That's what costs so much! My goodness. $45 to advertise your yard sale? Come on. It's cheaper to get sticks, poster board and a few balloons.
I sound really cheap, don't I? I don't mean to. I'm not some sort of Eugene Krabs. But I don't like to spend a lot of money for something if I don't have to, and I'd much rather reuse something someone else has discarded that still has life in it. So much of what is on the market today is cheaply made and sold for really disgusting prices. The people that do the really hard work behind the manufacturing of this stuff are so often working under deplorable conditions. If I'm going to spend a lot for something, it's because it was hand made by artisans not exploiting or exploited. Don't get me wrong. I've seen plenty of things I'd love to have, but won't purchase and I have bought clothes at Target that I know are being made at some factory in China. I'm not perfect. But I do try to keep those things to a minimum, especially lately. I look for things locally made, but if I see a wool sweater from Ireland, that's not going to deter me from getting it (usually it's the price that'll do that) because it was - probably - manufactured from field to product with very few middle men involved.
Here's your assignment, flowerpots: Take a look at what you own. Where was it made? Was any of it made locally? Was it even made in the United States? Set aside everything that you own that was made someplace other than your home country. Is it very balanced? Do you know where your stuff is coming from? We're very complacent as consumers. We go idly by, purchasing things we think we need or want, but do you really know the journey it has travelled? Think this isn't important? Don't think you should waste your time looking at the process? Think again. If you're not part of the solution, you're the problem. I'm not claiming that I'll never shop at Target again, however, a change needs to be made and I'm going to do my best to make it. Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment