Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thrifty Thursday - Here Comes Trouble!

Last week I dropped off 6 bags of things I no longer wear to my favorite thrift store down the street. I came home today with one. Now, ordinarily you might say that was pretty good. The rule is to always leave with fewer bags than you dropped off. However, I still managed to spend over my budget.

Doilies. Doilies are my downfall. I collect them. Like dust bunnies. I'm fascinated by their intricacy and if there happens to be  one (or a few) in different colors, I'm sunk.

I'm always asked at check-out what I plan on doing with all of them. I do put them on jackets and t-shirts which I hope to sell at some point. I'd like to put them into larger pieces, though. I've seen some marvelous dresses made of vintage doilies. I've been worried, though, as to how to put them together. I keep thinking that I should put them onto some sort of base (like the jackets, or a t-shirt) and then I get stuck. I get stuck buying a bunch of jackets I never wear because I want to sell them but am too afraid no one will like them to put them out to be seen and I have drawers full of doilies.

To be fair, my grandma made doilies, and I feel a bit of a connection with her when I buy them. She died when I was 12 and we were two peas in a pod. Maybe that's my real attachment to them - the reason I've never put my doily projects out for consumption (or even brought them to fruition) is because I have created a weird connection with them. Oh, dear. That's creepy. I don't like that.

Well, come this Spring, when it finally decides to show up, some friends and I are going to take pictures of my pieces and they are going up on Etsy. I've been hiding my proverbial light under the barrel long enough, dagnabbit! I've cleared my closet of the things I shouldn't hang on to any longer and now it's time to do that with my craft. My pieces aren't doing anybody any good languishing in the studio not being seen. I'm going to put that on my calendar for April. Hey! Maybe the photo shoot will be the April Friday Field Trip? Hmmm... possible...

What are your Spring Fever Dreams? Write them down - act on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment