Sunday, July 20, 2014

How 'bout that detox?

I had an ice cream cone yesterday. We were at a street fair and all the kids were doing it. After not having ice cream for a week, I was the first one to finish. Man, I love ice cream. However, I do think I've lost a little weight this past week, and I justified yesterday's cone because we were walking all over the fair.
I haven't purchased anything unnecessary, though I have been tempted. We didn't get anything from any of the artists at the fair, though I saw plenty I would've liked. We did buy tickets for the boys to play on a couple of the things they had at the fair. Our older son went in a water ball and our little guy went on the bungee trampoline and they were happy with that. We also went to the petting zoo and just pet the animals, rather than getting seed to feed them. The ice creams were a special treat and totally worth it - homemade ice cream is the best.
I usually run errands on my day off from school and if I go to Target, I'm far more tempted to get something unnecessary for myself. A pair of earrings here, six pairs of socks there (I'm really into socks), one of a million tee-shirts...
Well, luckily, our credit union moved to a new location and it across the street from a grocery store. The money I save in not buying extras at Target is worth the tiny bit more I may spend on the groceries, and they have a better produce department. There are some things I just have to get at Target - it's where we have our prescriptions and school supply time is fast approaching - but not having all the other distractions is a pretty big deal for me.
I've also done really well at not stopping at either of the thrift stores and the fabric store between the CU and my house. It's not easy to stop myself, I'm not going to lie. But I know we have to save our duccats for Disney World next May, and I'm committed to doing just that. A couple of years ago, our neighbors did the same thing, so the boys are at least familiar with the concept of "saving for Disney".
One the mending front, I've been fortunate to not need to do any. My kids' socks are a cry for help, however, and I've tried repairing them, but then the boys won't wear them. They feel "creepy". Oh, well. Their feet are getting bigger, so socks are going to be a necessity, and frankly, I prefer better socks because they last longer. Every time I've gotten cheap socks for any of us, they thin out and get holes so much faster than mid-priced socks. I'm a firm believer in spending a bit more initially in order to save on having to buy more later. Especially where socks are concerned. Because I'm a sock freak.
Still not happy about my hair, but I'm going to let it grow out for a while and see what I can do with it. Maybe it just needs some length, though I've shaved my had to within 1/4 inch of my scalp and it looked better than this. Don't think I haven't been tempted. But I was looking at some photos of my self from a couple of years ago, and I think I'd like to grow my hair out again. If I can be patient. That'll save a considerable amount, too.
On a different topic, massage therapy school has been full of ups and downs and I've had quite a bit of test anxiety. My shrink (yes, I go to a talk therapist and it's worth it if you can find a good one) gave me some really good advice on how to cut down on that testing fear. I know it's simply because this counts. This is something with which I can and will make a living to help out with household bills so my husband won't have to work quite so hard. I have to make this work. So, as you can see, I've put a bit of pressure on myself to do well and it has been more challenging than I had anticipated. I do really well in my Western Anatomy and Physiology classes, but my Eastern Medicine classes are really out there as far as my brain is concerned. There's a lot of memorizing stuff that changes depending on situations and I think that's throwing me for a loop. But I retake the tests and I pass them. So the info is there, I just get myself into a snit and can't do it.
What is the Good Doctor having me do? Well, one thing is to eat a good deal of protein before I take a test and she's written a note for me to be allowed a container of milk while I'm taking the tests (we're only allowed water - how archaic!). The other thing I need to do is something one would think would be easy - breathe. But I have a tendency to hold my breath and breathe very shallowly when under stress, and that can affect my anxiety (would affect anyone's, really). So we did some concentrated breathing work last week and I used that in combination with the dietary suggestions the next day and I got my first perfect score in Anatomy and did really well on my Shiatsu practical exam. I don't even care if it's only a placebo effect, I did really well on the tests, and I'm going to continue following her advice.
Well, my little flowerpots, I don't know if you got anything out of this other than the fact I'm a sock freak and get test anxiety, but if you did - Yay! Stay colorful!



No comments:

Post a Comment