Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thrifty Thursday (Finally!)

I hate to post this, because, sadly, one of my favorite places to get fabric is going out of business. It was in the same neighborhood as my credit union, so it was a handy location (a little too handy, really). They always had good deals, unusual fabrics and probably the best collection of batiks this side of S.R. Harris (which will be one of our future field trips, BTW). Yes, Mill End Textiles is slowly liquidating their stock and boy, howdy! The deals are amazing!

If one of your neighborhood fabric meccas is going out of business, run, walk, drag your butt out in the cold blast of winter or hot steam of summer to get there! In the last three months while Mill End has been liquidating, I've hit the store about 5 times. I've purchased approximately $500.00 worth of fabric for about $175. I got thread at cost, cord and decorator trim for pennies and, in possibly the greatest tool coup ever, an Olfa compass rotary cutter for under $6. I went to a Jo Ann's immediately after to price the same cutter - $32.99!

What?! Yeah.

Of course, you run the risk of not getting enough of something and going back for more only to discover it's gone. That did happen to me. I eventually found the print I wanted in a different color combination that was just as cool as the one I had originally purchased, so I got that in enough for a dress. Yes, yes I did. Naturally I got stuff I don't NEED (like the thing-y to make fabric roses) but it was something I would only buy on ridiculous sale. Besides that, I'm hoping to use it in a segment for the blog, so it was worth it. I've been going through my fabrics at a rapid pace and felt the need to reward myself for a job well done. Granted, I'm only filling up the space I just emptied, but haven't we all done that at some point? (Please say yes. Please.)

Your assignment: Look around town, in the Sunday paper, on the net for places in your area closing up shop. Even if you've never been there before, check them out. You never know what treasures you'll find! Also, don't forget Field Trip Friday tomorrow at the Edina Jo Ann's at 10 am. If you plan on joining me, shoot me an email - totallytoots10@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment