Sunday, February 2, 2014

Tequila Diamonds

I'm often asked, "Where did you come up with the name Tequila Diamonds?" It's my brand on Spoonflower.com and etsy.com and I'll admit, it's kind of a strange name. Here's the story:

In 2008 I was reading my horoscope (like you do) and they mentioned how scientists in Mexico had been able to create a diamond dust out of tequila. Not actual stones, mind, but a dust that can be used on tools for delicate surgeries. The scope then suggested that I take something and make something else out of it that was totally unexpected.
At the time I had been tossing around the idea of having a business upcycling thrift store items - taking something and making it new and useful again. Tequila Diamonds was "born".

However, I don't just do thrift store make overs. I make all kinds of stuff from old and new materials, but the idea is still there. My goal is to make things that are useful, beautiful and/or create as little waste as possible. When I make a quilt, for example, I try to use up as much of my fabric as I can. I rarely cut size-specific pieces for straight-seam blocks (ie. log cabin), I stitch all my strips together and whatever is left I set aside for the next project in which it might coordinate. This means I also do a fair amount of scrap work. Scrap work is actually my favorite. There are no rules, just sew and trim. They somehow look even better than the ones I plan out.

Another thing I try to do as much as I can is buy American made supplies. This isn't terribly easy, but I do what I can. Not only is it providing jobs for people here, it's also using the least amount of fuel to get the products to me.

I try to recycle as much as I can. Threads and scraps that are too small to sew become fire starters (balls of lint doused in wax to start campfires in the Summer). If I use glitter, I scoop up as much as I can and put it back in the jar. Unless I'm in a mood and decide I need a little pixie dust, in which case I toss it in the air and let it rain on me.

I buy an awful lot of my supplies at thrift stores. Fabric, yarn, thread, tools... all can be found at thrift stores. I bought a gallon baggie of zippers for a dollar. That's probably $50 worth of zippers. Thread can be dicey there, because cotton and silk can become brittle when they get old, but for basting, they're great. You're going to remove those stitches anyway. Then into the fireball jar!

Anyway, that's the story of my business and how it got its name. I'm working on inventory for my etsy shop (it's currently empty) and this Spring I'll be taking pictures of my Summer and Fall items. My Spoonflower shop is always open for business (www.spoonflower.com/tequila_diamonds). I know some people will look at the prices and think "Holy crow, that's expensive!" But they only print when something is ordered, and they only print the amount ordered. It's pretty slick. The fabric designers there range from total beginners to professional designers. I land somewhere on the high side of the middle.

My fabric designs are fairly unusual. Here again I try to take something ordinary (a medical slide, for example) and create an extraordinary design out of it. It's full of surprises. I have a few "normal" designs on there, but to be honest, they aren't the ones that sell. If you're looking for unique and unexpected, that's my style. I have a few new collections coming out this Spring and will, of course, post their release here.

Now I release you, my flowerpots! Go find your ECHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment