Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Summer's Here! - Midweek Edition

I can hardly believe it! Memorial Day is behind us and the weather is cooperating. The lilacs are blooming and the lawnmowers are humming. It felt great to finally go for a walk and not need my hoodie!
One of our local flower markets has a slogan for the summer that really speaks to me: Summer's short, fill it with color! Now, I'm a lousy gardener (I joke that I have a black thumb), but I have planted some beans and herbs that I hope will provide some greenery on my porch. My one and only flowering shrub (a bleeding heart) is drooping with blossoms. I have a closet full of bright colors, enough to not need to shop for the rest of the season, but who am I kidding? For what more could a person ask?
I really wish I was better in the garden. I always have grand plans for my own vegetable garden and beautiful flowers, but I'm pretty lazy. I wish I could have a garden that all I had to do was plant it and forget it. I've tried that method, however, and it doesn't work. This year (and next, for that matter) would be near impossible to have a garden because I'm in school so much of the time and studying or practicing on people the rest of the time. On the other hand, I am learning to have a more structured schedule, so perhaps having a garden next year isn't such a bad idea. Maybe this whole having a schedule thingy isn't such a bad idea, either.
It sounds so luxurious to not have to work outside the home when you are working outside the home in a job you don't really like. The truth is, I'm not a self-starter. I hate having a schedule, but when I don't have one, I don't do anything in particular. A li'l of this, a li'l of that... and none of it really seems to make a difference to me or to anyone else. Well, good gravy! No wonder I've been depressed!
Now that I have classes to attend and homework to do and tests to take, I'm much happier. I've been practicing bodywork on my friends and making them feel good and relaxed is so rewarding! I finally feel like I'm making a difference in some subtle yet profound way and it feels pretty fantastic, I'm not gonna lie.
Dressing in the colors of the sun is one thing (and a great thing, too) but living in the sunlight of something you love to do takes it to a whole new level.
My flowerpots, all I wish for you is that you get to live in that sunlight, but you have to be the one to step out the door, open the curtains, or flip that switch, whatever it takes to make that change. Not only is summer short, but life is short. Be bright. Fill it with color.

No comments:

Post a Comment