Sunday, January 26, 2014

Coming Soon - Thrifty Thursdays and Field Trip Fridays!

In my introductory post for Sewnday Morning Musings I promised field trips to local thrift shops and Minneapolis area sewing/crafting Meccas. I've decided to do this on the third Friday of each month, late morning. This may change, depending on my kids' school schedules, but for now, that's how it'll stand. Since the third Friday in January has gone by, February 21st will be our first official Field Trip Friday.

I've yet to decide where they'll be and what topics I'll cover when, but I'll put up the information when I settle on something.

What I hope to achieve with these field trips is to give beginning thrifters, crafters and sewists a better idea of how to shop, what to look for, and what to expect when shopping for supplies. Obviously no one is required to join me, but if you're local and the topic is something that interests you, please send me an email (totallytoots10@gmail.com) at least 24 hours in advance of the field trip so I know to look for you. They will not be filmed (yet) but I may take pix and I'll have something drawn up for you to sign that says you're okay with my using your image on the internet.

I'm also going to treat these as tours. I'm your tour guide, and, while I don't expect anything but the satisfaction of teaching you something unexpected and useful, if you enjoyed the field trip, I'll accept tips. Oh, yes. I will. I'm smart, funny, and, gosh darn it, people like me, so what the heck? It's totally not obligatory, though, so no pressure. The main thing is to learn and have fun. Actually, a nice tip to receive would be a lovely comment on the blog.

Out-of towners, don't fret! I'm sure my advice will work in your neighborhood as well. Also, I do travel, and when I do, I'm going to research in advance any of those cities for field trips. If you happen to be in the area, please join my in-the-field traveling team. Especially if you know of a particular place that's a great resource for artists! This Summer we'll be spending time up near Lake Peavy/Onamia, MN and my husband's class reunion out in the Kittery area of Maine, so please, if you're familiar with those places, let me know! I appreciate any information.

Thrifty Thursdays (not to be confused with Thirsty Thursdays) will be Thursday posts dealing with upcycling stuff from thrift stores. They won't be every Thursday, more of a "Gee, I'm feeling like doing something other than quilt tops today" schedule, but I promise to show you how to use the fun stuff you can find at your local flea markets and thrift stores. I've been known to pick up crafting supplies at thrift stores on the cheap, and I'll cover a little of that as well.

Your assignment: Come up with and email to me a list of places in your area that would make great artist's field trips. Now I'm off to work out a schedule! Can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment