Sunday, August 17, 2014

Officially done with "Detox"

Okay, so maybe I didn't do the best job of not having ice cream, and I did get a couple of things for myself - but I didn't have any pretzel buns! I don't feel too badly because I finished all of my finals with A's - not perfect scores, but good ones - and I'm looking forward to having a break before second term begins. I worked really hard studying for those exams. We're headed for Maine and we are all in desperate need of a vacation.
We'll be staying with my father-in-law and his wife for the first week, then my mother-in-law and her husband for the second week. It'll be nice to see them again, since it's been three years since our last visit.
The day after we get home, school starts for all of us. Well, my kids and me. My husband will go back to work, of course. It's going to be a hectic morning, but at least we each start school at different times. My older son is starting middle school this year, so that'll be a big change. So the route is Little Guy to school across town then back toward our house for Big Guy then I drive to another town for my school. Luckily on Tuesdays, I start later than Big Guy. On Wednesday, he'll have to join forces with the neighbor kid and go with him because we have to be to school at the same time. It's going to be a neat trick.
I got some more school clothes for the boys at Saver's Thrift Store and I had found a few things for myself when I came across a gorgeous gown. Now, I'm not doing a lot of cabaret these days, so I'm not sure when I'd ever wear it, but it was $35 and I tried it on and it's like it was made for me. I'm thinking I may use it for a very elegant vampire Hallowe'en costume. After I tried it on, I put back everything else I had picked out for myself. I'd chosen a few cute things, but about four months ago, I gave away all of my fancy dress clothes to a local theatre in a purge and I wanted that gown to restart a collection. Oh, and I had taken three bags of mine and the boys' clothes to donate and got a 30% off coupon, so I spent about 7 dollars more on everything than was the original (thrift) price of the gown. I'd probably given the theatre about $5000 worth of vintage and evening wear. I figure, if I ever feel like I want to borrow some of it, I know where to go, but if I want something now, I have it. Today I went through my dresser drawers and took 5 bags of clothes to the thrift store up the street. I still need to go through the boys' stuff for more things they've outgrown, but there will be time for that while they're in school. I only have classes on three days, so I'll have time to do some clearing out.
Also today, I decided that my size 8 jeans just weren't going to cut it any more - well, actually, they were cutting into me, so... I went to Saver's to find some jeans. I found two pair of nice ones that fit really well. One is even a pair of "Not Your Daughter's Jeans" and I have to say, if I ever have the extra dinero to buy them new, I may just do that. They're extremely comfortable and the fit is sublime (my butt looks great!). Plus I picked up a couple of larger sweaters to go over my giant, massage therapist arms. I had to get rid of a few sweaters because I've outgrown them in the arms.
Since Hallowe'en is coming up, I'll be looking for more Indian clothes (saris, kurtis, etc.) since they often put them out with the costume stuff. I could seriously live in that style. However, I need specific clothes for school (yoga pants and t-shirts that don't gap open at the chest - no cleavage, front or back). Luckily on Tuesdays, my two classes won't have any practical component to them (no massaging), so I can wear whatever I want. I'm really looking forward to those days. I don't dress up on my days off and I do like to peacock it up every once in a while.
Well, my little flowerpots, I've made my confession, mea culpa <whip, whip> and I don't feel badly about it at all. I worked hard and I deserve a bit of fun. Everything I got for myself and the boys was either on sale, thrifted and/or couponed and I'm feeling quite proud of myself for that. I spent less this year on school clothes than any other year and my boys are happy with what they've got. Of course it helps that they couldn't care less about labels - they figure everyone shops like I do.
Speaking of which, have you been to a thrift store lately? You never know what you might find. I also picked up a Calvin Klein blazer for just a few dollars. Should look great with my NYDJ's!

No comments:

Post a Comment